Join us on the Downeast Scenic Railroad, the first tourist-passenger train to grace the historic Calais Branch Line in decades, for the best day trip in Ellsworth!
Search for an Upcoming Train Ride!
Searching available activities for . . .
Showing Activities for -
The Downeast Scenic Railroad was named Best Day Trip in Down East Magazine readers’ favorites!
- See schedule for departure days & time Departure times See schedule for departure days & time
- Saturdays & Sundays Days Saturdays & Sundays
- 1.75 hours Duration 1.75 hours
- All ages Ages All ages
The Downeast Scenic Railroad offers a wonderful 12-mile round-trip train ride from Hancock, Maine, through Ellsworth Falls, and across the Union River Bridge on the former Maine Central Railroad. The beautifully restored passenger train, with vintage locomotives and coaches, staffed by our all-volunteer crew, is the first passenger train to run on these tracks since 1960.
Fun for the entire family! The relaxing hour and 45 minute rides are offered Saturdays and Sundays beginning Memorial Day weekend through the weekend after Columbus Day. Each train ride is narrated with information about the area and relevant railroad history. Check the schedule on our website for the dates, number of trips per day, times, holidays, and specials. Advanced booking is encouraged. We invite you and your family to come enjoy a leisurely trip back in time.
- Comfortable seating is provided in our renovated coaches. Picnic table seating is available on our canopy covered open-air car.
- Bottled water and snacks may be purchased on the train.
- Restroom facilities are available onboard.
- The train is handicap accessible. Our train crew is available to lend a hand.
- Your family dog is welcome onboard as long as it is restrained and friendly.
Rain or shine, any day on the rails is a great day!
Come ride the Downeast Scenic